Monday, May 19, 2014



A huge hug and many thanks to Dyanne Davis, a wonderful and generous soul! Check out her books at http://www.dyannedavis.com.
My personal favorite is The Color of Trouble.

Waves madly at Sonali Dev! Dyanne is right about A Bollywood Affair! The cover is stunning and the story is sweet and fun!

On to the questions.


What am I working on?

My story, The Last Case, won first place in the Washington Romance Writers DC Marlene contest.

Police Lieutenant AJ Lawsen reaches out to women caught in prostitution. After being shot in an ambush, AJ suffers a concussion and memory loss. This causes problems for her from a decorated police captain, hunky ER doctor, and a drug kingpin. AJ has to drag through the blurred lines and remember who to trust with her life and heart.


I also have a YA romantic suspense and a trilogy about three sisters finding love in the big city.


How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I try to the find the humor in all situations. I feel the basis of a good relationship is the ability to laugh. A sense of humor is essential to sustain the long term.

All Hours Trading centers on an established couple, a centuries old vampire madly in love with a voluptuous woman. She has been his financial adviser and lover for years. A vampire has to consider his portfolio along with his next meal. Living paycheck to paycheck for all eternity isn’t what the undead planned on. Mutual funds, stock options, and burial plot decisions are not for the faint of heart, especially if it stops beating.

Mother Nature’s Man deals with Siobhan Bolyn, aka Mother Nature, who is busy dealing with climate fluctuations and the bureaucratic melee of water, wind, fire, and earth management. A baby is in her future, it’s the guy who’s the question. A dilemma faced by every other woman ever.

Why do I write what I do?

I attended the Spring Fling writers’ conference in April and heard Mary Balogh http://www.marybalogh.com speak about her process. She lets the characters set the tone. “Once upon a time” and she lets her imagination soar. I’m no Mary Balogh, but I could relate to her idea. My hero and heroine appear first. They interact on the page and allow me to build a story around them. All Hours Trading began as a contemporary romance. It grew into a paranormal romance because of my heroine’s age. No man would take financial advice from a woman under the age of thirty, unless he was ancient. My hero morphed into a vampire. In his experience, time is irrelevant and wisdom defies age. I write what pops into my head and the possibilities are limitless. I stop, listen, and hope someone has something to say.

How does your writing process work?
I’d love to say flawlessly, but I tinker. I have a few stories going at the same time. When I screech to a halt with one, I close it down and go on to another. I keep notebooks around my house and  in my car. A line of dialogue will surface and I need to write it down. I have learned ideas do not come back for a second look.

Thanks for your time and happy reading!


I have published two books, All Hours Trading and Mother Nature’s Man, both with The Wild Rose Press.




 All Hours Trading blurb
In life, one thing is certain:  taxes. Death has many layers and all of them interest the IRS. I’m Ann Milton, a financial planner for the undead and supernaturally challenged. The love of my life is the vampire, Lance Cheron. I think he sat at the Round Table with King Arthur and they didn’t play bridge.  He’s shy with details, but not with his passion. Our lives are complicated.  First, by his age old enemy: a dried up hag after his money.  If she’s Guinevere, I’ll croak.  Second, by the activities of my roommate:  she’s a hybrid predator and great cook.  Underneath the hair, razor teeth, and talons, Colette is a real sweetie. Last, the roller coaster stock market:  how to make money last until the next fiscal year and eternity. These challenges are nothing compared to my dream:  a baby.  Undead procreation is impossible. Or is it? Paging Dr. Merlin?



Mother Nature’s Man blurb

I, Siobhan Bolyn, Goddess of the Flame and Keeper of the Land and Water, must give birth to the next goddess before my three hundredth birthday. My mate must be the preordained champion, so not just any man will do. But where to find a champion in this modern world?

When Niall Calhoun walks into my life, he’s everything I’ve hoped for. Tall, dark, sweet, and gorgeous: the true four food groups. A mere touch of his hand and my libido roars to life. But is he champion material?

Meanwhile, dark forces are plotting against me and calling my abilities into question. I’ve got to battle forest fires, soothe the oceans, appease my mother, turn Niall into Mr. Exactly Right, and have a baby in the next year. Can a goddess and her champion handle all that and still find time to fall in love?









Mary Jo Burke writes paranormal, fantasy, and contemporary romance. She lives with her family in the Midwest. For more information on Mary Jo books, please visit her website http://www.maryjoburke.com.  She’s on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/MaryJoBurke and Twitter at http://twitter.com/MaryJoBurke.


No comments:

Lest Ye Be Judged

Lest Ye Be Judged
Adam Omega, returns vengeance